Thursday, February 7, 2008

Shaking with questions

I know, I know. I haven't posted in a few days, but I promise I am full of blog content just waiting to be thrown onto the internet. It's just waiting in a really long line of things I am trying to do.

But last night, at about 10:33, I was sitting at my laptop and talking to my girlfriend, when my house started shaking. Quickly, feelings from the large earthquake that shook the area a few months ago came to mind.

It lasted very briefly, only a matter of seconds. Being on the second floor of a very old house, I decided to make my way downstairs.

A couple nights before last on Monday, while sitting in my roommate's room, I had felt a slight shake and heard the blinds clink the window. I asked him if he had felt that and he said no. I kind of shrugged it off, assuming that I am just crazy. But wouldn't you know it, when we went downstairs to watch the TV, the news was reporting there had been an earthquake that night.

But for some reason, last nights quake didn't get that kind of coverage. It had more of a presence than the preceding one on Monday night, but when I checked the TV there was no breaking news coverage, nothing. I checked Mercurynews.com and didn't see anything. What's up with that?

I assumed that it was from the Calaveras Fault in the area of Alum Rock, which sits less that ten miles to the east of San Jose City Hall. After checking the USGS website, I found out that the epicenter of the 3.0 magnitude earthquake was just 5.5 miles from San Jose.

This morning I check Mercurynews.com again, to find a short brief on the incident, which wasn't posted until 5:30 this morning.

I am wondering why the delay in reporting? Is it not a big deal? Wouldn't people have an uneasy feeling after the third time this fault has caused a rumble? Right before that 5.6 earthquake hit in October, didn't the San Jose Mercury news run a big piece on the "Big One," which they say is due any day now? And on top of all that, a 3.1 was recorded near Pacifica, CA.

I expect another piece on all of this tectonic activity, and I think I am going to find something to hang on to.

No comments: