Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Breaking News

So living in the Bay Area has really shook my life up-literally.
The San Jose Mercury News is reporting a 5.6 earthquake somewhere around 10 miles from San Jose. Pretty damn close if you ask me.
Now you might be wondering where I was while the earth decided to move. I was on the fourth floor of Ducan Hall, hiding under my mini-desk, before busting my butt down the four fights of stairs.
This earthquake wasn't that bad, but it's pretty scary when your in the middle of a critique on the fourth floor. It was my first one here in the Bay Area, which seems notorious for earthquakes, but in actually my roommate who has been here for over three years said it was his first.
The irony of the situation is that I just recently read in the Mercury News that the "Big One" is due to make an appearance anytime now. This was just a little reminder.
But a question I ponder is how the media will respond to this. It is obvious a big deal, but no one was really hurt or not much damage. We have electricity, and my cell phone still works (though AT&T users were experiencing trouble with theres). The news jumped on the story, but quickly returned to regular programing. The Mercury website had a quick blurb about it, but it wasn't very prominent. But that was only about half an hour after the quake. I was quite impressed with the amount of info they had coming from all over the Bay Area.
All in all a crazy experience, lets hope that we keep those kind of experiences to a minimum.

No comments: