Monday, November 5, 2007

Trying to hack it as a Stobist


LinkSo I am taking it slow, working my way into the world of off camera lighting. I started out a few months ago purchasing a SB-24 and a couple of light stands. I haven't stretched my strobing legs as much as I would like to, but I have started.

Here is a quick head shot that I did in the empty room-for-rent that neighbors mine. It's of the brand new member of the San Jose Stealth's dance team, Miss Ashley. She was a great model, and we had some fun shooting.

As you can see, my setup was one SB-24 to the left of me and one white poster board reflector. For the background I used a black blanket and I had her sitting on my computer chair. To tilt the flash a little, I used a stack of DVD cases. If that's not resourcing then I don't know what is.

Next, being the poor college art student I am, I'm going to give a shot at constructing my own soft box and run with that. I felt that with these photos, I had a little too hard light, even though I did have a diffuser on my flash. We'll see how that works.

1 comment:

Apolinar Fonseca said...

Off camera flash is great stuff. The more you do it the more instinctive it becomes. Nice work!