Monday, October 1, 2007

Printing



So I have recently found the need to send-out some prints for customers. Like anyone else out there, I am looking for the best quality I can at a great price.

I am also looking for someone that will print similar to what I modify my prints too. I know a lot of that lies in the calibration of my monitor, which I have calibrated as much as I can. It's also difficult to work off a laptop, but it isn't impossible to get similar prints.

I have tried two places up here in the Bay Area, one local shop in Downtown San Jose called Foto Express and a semi-professional lab in San Francisco called Photoworks.

It's kind of funny, I use to work for a photo lab called Photo Express back in Hanford, Ca.

But the prints I get at Foto Express in San Jose aren't too bad, but they print a lot darker and a little less contrast than what I expected. But the service and turnaround there is excellent. It is ran by a SJSU Graduate, who is one of the nicest persons around.

The above shot was printed at Foto Express, but it was printed a lot darker, and with less contrast.

Photoworks printed rather well. I don't know that I was wowed by the quality, but I got what I wanted. The only problem was that it took a while to get to me. I had them Fed Ex-ed, but they didn't get sent out the right day and ended up taking over a week to get to me. All I had was three 8x10. Granted, when I called and asked where my prints were, they overnighted them and were cool about it.

I would use Photoworks again, as well as Henry at Foto Express, but where do you print?

No comments: