Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Come get some


If you haven't happened to check out an arena football game, you should. If you like football, it's a fine cure for those off-season withdrawals. It's a lot of scoring and a lot of hitting, some will say almost too much hitting, but that's just being silly.

The reason I have been at the past couple of games for the Central Valley Coyotes, based out of Fresno, is because their quarterback, Clay Groefesma, is from Lemoore. I consistently contribute to the Lemoore Advance, mainly sports, so it's kind of cool that I can go watch these games and get paid for it.

While shooting this game, it is not uncommon to see me swearing at my camera. I am forced to shoot with a D30, please don't mistake that for a 30D. The first generation DSLR from Canon is a piece of junk, that will not fire even though you are pressing down the shutter and the linebacker just knocked the QB into the stands. Don't even get me started on the focusing.

I had to shoot this game at 1600, and was around 320-250-f/2.8. 1600 is not the ideal setting on this camera, and 320 is a little slow to catch the ball moving. I don't believe I am allowed to use a flash, even so I don't have one that would work.

The question I keep asking myself is, if I had a better camera, say a 1D Mark II like everyone else on that sideline, would I be getting better shots. They would definitely be higher quality, but would I be getting the shots?

I assume that I would, but for now I should be happy with the camera I have.

2 comments:

S. Dulai said...

The MarkII is overrated and frankly I think it makes you lazy.

You can have the greatest gear in the world and it won't mean a lick if you don't have the eye to back it up.

I once shot an NCAA regional on an old Canon D2000, that's like 1 frame per minute, while everyone around me had the Mark IIs in machine gun mode. In the end, where I was getting moments, they were getting flipbooks.

Sure they were still getting the moments in there takes, but you have to wonder, how much of that is skill and how much is luck.

I like knowing it's skill.

I hear you're coming over to San Jose State University.

Welcome! Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Just remember to boo Fresno when we play against them.

JP said...

I definitely feel that shooting with a sub-par camera has helped me more than hinder me.

I feel like I have had to work harder to get a shot I am satisfied with before I leave an assignment, particularly sports. It is rewarding when I do get the shot.

Like I said, I should just be happy to have something to shoot with, but sometimes the jealously gets a hold of me.

And I sure am on my way to SJSU, crossing that line from Fresno State. I can't wait to tell you the truth and am counting the days.

Thank you for the welcome and please feel drop me a line too. I look forward to meeting you around campus.