Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Life has taken over

It's the summer time and that means spontaneous trips to the beach for a bonfire and long nights with friends and a good brew and early mornings at work. The days are long, and the nights tend to be also, but no one is complaining. I got a new bbq and gorgeous weather here in the Bay Area, throw in some good friends and I can't ask for anything more.

Unfortunately I have come to neglect this blog for the most part of this summer. It's not intentional, and I don't really have an excuse. I've just been busy having fun.

But just because I take time off, does not mean that newsrooms have. They just lay off.

In recent days I heard that the Palo Alto Daily News is laying off five of its editorial staff and one graphic designer. The San Jose Mercury News is continuing to shrink it's newsroom, and this morning I hear that NBC 11 is cutting jobs. This is scary times for everyone. I am trying to break into the industry, and it just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I guess I can't let this ruin my summer, but sooner or later it's going to start getting colder and the days will get shorter. Blue skies will turn gray and gloomy, although I think the news industry might already be there.

No comments: