Friday, September 2, 2011

Grandma Carmen

It's been a little over a year since my grandmother passed away, and a lot has happened that I wish she would have been around for. I graduated from Columbia. I got engaged. And a couple weeks ago I was married in my hometown. It was a good sized wedding, somewhere around 100 people, but in all honesty she is one of the people I wanted there the most. Maybe that's because she couldn't be there, but she's been on my mind a lot lately since the wedding. A lot of who I am and what I've done thus far in my life, I owe to her. A strong woman, who was one hell-of-a storyteller, I spent a lot of my childhood with her and my grandfather. Fortunately he was there to see me get married, and even danced with my bride.

I found these pictures recently while going through an old hard drive coincidentally. I had forgotten about them actually, as I took them a few years ago. It was Christmas time, and like always, our family gathered at Grandma's. As she and I got older, I wanted to document her and my grandfather. I remember even trying to record some of our conversations, but I might have to dig through some more hard drives for those audio files.

But these photos say a lot about my grandmother. This is what she did, what she lived for. Her familia. And though it was a lot of work to make fresh tortillas and cook enough food for her large family, she wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I do.

1 comment:

Raynard said...

Photo #6 - Amazing, that some Hands never tire for people that they love.